Talk about comfort food, Southwest Sweet Potato Chowder is perfect for a chilly night! The smokiness of chipotle with roasted sweet potatoes and pecans makes this a hearty meal.
I love sweet potatoes like a fat boy loves cake. Sometimes I even crave them.
And, sweet potatoes are a good thing to crave: they are one of nature's most nutrient-dense foods and are full of anti-oxidant and anti-inflammatory goodness. The old saying about apples should be replaced with "A sweet potato a day keeps the doctor away." Bring on those beautiful orange root veggies, I say!
I decided to scratch my sweet potato itch this time by making a soup - and I think the sweet richness pairs well with smokiness, so I added chipotle peppers and smoked paprika.
This soup is so easy, that's it's almost not even a recipe: just throw everything in a slow cooker and let it simmer away all day - your house will smell amazing, BTW. Then, top with some roasted sweet potato chunks, cilantro leaves and pecans and - HOOOOOoooooo Ray - Sweet Potato Heaven!
- 3 large sweet potatoes, about 2½ pounds, peeled and cut into 1 inch chunks
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, diced
- 2 chipotle peppers in adobo sauce, diced
- 2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 6 cups vegetable broth
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- ½ cup light sour cream, plus extra for garnish
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- 1 cup diced cilantro leaves
- 1 cup diced pecans
- Place in a slow cooker the following: ⅔ of the sweet potato chunks, onion, garlic, chipotle pepper, smoked paprika, cumin, vegetable broth, vinegar and soy sauce. Cook on high for 3 to 4 hours or on low for 6 to 8 hours.
- One hour before serving, preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Toss the remaining sweet potato cubes in oil and spread on a single layer on a baking sheet. Bake for 50 to 60 minutes at top of oven, until soft and lightly browned.
- Ten minutes before serving, spread the pecans on a small baking sheet and bake for 8 to 10 minutes, until browned and fragrant.
- Whisk the sour cream and some salt and pepper to taste into the soup in slow cooker. Blend in batches in your blender or blend with a stick blender until smooth. Spoon into serving bowls. Top with a few chunks of the roasted sweet potato chunks, a little sour cream drizzled, cilantro and pecans.
- Serve immediately.
Food bloggers' adventures with southwest yammy goodness:
Sweet Potato and Black Bean Enchiladas, Karina's Kitchen
Hatch Chile Sweet Potato Stew, Gluten Free Goddess
Sweet Potato Chili, A Year of Slow Cooking
Chipotle Smashed Sweet Potatoes, Serious Eats
Turkey and Sweet Potato Enchiladas, Gluten Free Goddess
-- posted by Donna