What is a Cheese Crisp? Mmmm… it’s warm melted cheese and roasted chiles on a crispy flour tortilla. No, it’s not heaven, it’s an original creation invented right here in Tucson, Arizona.
The Classic Cheese Crisp is a Southwest Favorite and a meal cannot begin at any Mexican food restaurant without one!
Sometimes simple is best.
Take Cheese Crisps for example. Tortillas. A little butter. Cheese. That’s it. Really. Sure, you can add toppings if you like. But just those three essentials are heavenly all by themselves.
Our hometown – Tucson, Arizona – is the birthplace of this simple culinary delight, and specifically El Charro restaurant, my all-time favorite place to eat. ((Note: We are going to do a post on El Charro soon here on EDS – IMHO they serve the best Sonoran style Mexican food in the universe.))
It is not a surprise that the Cheese Crisps there are THE best. Ever. Thin, crispy flour tortillas with a little butter toasted to perfection in the oven and then slathered with Mexican cheeses and melted again. Oh. My. Gosh.The Perfect Bite.
I decided it was time to post them here. After all, I’m an Arizona girI and grew up on eating them. Whenever I go to Tucson, my first stop is and will always be El Charro, and my first bite is a Cheese Crisp.
Yes, here we present to you the El Charro Classic Cheese Crisp, reinvented for the home cook. Ooey, gooey cheesy goodness at its best.
I know. You’re welcome!
CLASSIC TUCSON CHEESE CRISPS
- 4 medium flour tortillas (buy the thinnest ones you can find - hopefully thin enough to see through when you hold them up to the light!)
- 4 teaspoons unsalted butter, melted
- 2 cups grated cheeses (use any combination of good melting cheese you like: I used Longhorn style cheddar and Oaxaca melting cheese. Monterey Jack and cheddar is a good, melty combo as well.)
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- Brush tortillas with a little butter on each side. Place tortillas on a wire rack on a baking sheet. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, turning halfway through.
- Remove from oven and spread tortillas with cheese and chiles, if desired.
- Turn oven heat to 500 degrees.
- Return tortillas to oven for about 5 minutes, until cheese(s) bubble.