Burritos! Recipes for Burritos are warm flour tortillas stuffed with anything and everything you can think of. Ground beef, fancy steak, grilled chicken, pulled pork... you name it, even vegetarian fillings are delicious rolled into a burrito.
So, grab a burrito to eat on the run or deep fry one and smoother it in cheese and sauce for an "enchilada style" dinner. There is no limit on the creative possibilities for burritos.
Burritos have com a long way in recent years. They barely resemble the large, cheesy, smothered in sauce "Burros" I grew up on in Arizona. Burros are large (very large) flour tortillas stuffed with meat OR beans... not meat AND beans (no rice or veggies, please).
Meat. Only meat and maybe cheese. Beans, only refried beans and cheese. That's it.
The Bean and Cheese Burros in Arizona are an art form. Thin and tender flour tortillas are filled with the smoothest refried beans and creamy cheese then, wrapped tightly (closed on both ends) and served.
Burros can be eaten by hand like a hot dog or dressed up "enchilada-style" by smothering them in yummy enchilada sauce and melted cheese then, topping with a mountain of shredded lettuce, pico de gallo and more grated cheese.
BUT, the point is, that only beans and cheese OR meat and cheese are allowed in the "Burro." Well, ok, maybe and occasional onion or diced pepper sneaks in. All additional vegetable matter is served on the side, as a side dish, as in "not inside the burro."
So, What is a Burrito?
Burritos, on the other hand, are relatively new to the Southwest scene. They used to be a smaller version of the larger "Burro" and appear on the child's menu of your favorite Mexican restaurant (thus, the "ito" on the end).
Today's Burritos are all grown up have developed a point of view all their own.
The Burritos still resemble the larger Burro (they are still wrapped in a soft, warm tortilla and stuffed with yummy fillings) but, today's recipes for Burritos include everything imaginable. Rice, beans, potatoes even roasted vegetables are rolled in to the
- Burritos El Diablo or the Devil's Burritos are as spicy as you can handle, it's up to you. These are my favorite breakfast burritos. The eggs are simmered in salsa, spooned over rice or potatoes and rolled in a tortilla.
- Vegetarian Breakfast Burritos by Caroline's Cooking is a delicious combo of veggies, black beans and avocado.
Beef Burritos Recipes
- Mongolian Beef Burritos - East meets Southwest and is wrapped up in a yummy flour tortilla.
- Tamale Pie Burrito
- Carne Picada Recipe is a perfect filling for burritos! Wrap it in a tortilla and use your favorite garnishes.
Chicken Burritos Recipes
Creative Recipes for Burritos - Think Outside the Bun!
- Frito Pie Burritos in a Jar Think Burrito Bowl but in an easy to take on a picnic mason jar.
- Instant Pot Chicken Burrito Lasagna is a super creative dinner idea by my blogging buddy at My Life Cookbook.
- Mongolian Beef? In a Burrito? (See the link in Beef Burritos) Yes! Burritos are the perfect way to get creative or simply use up leftovers.
- Cheesy Burrito Casserole by Ann'a Entitled Life is a cheesy ground beef recipe for burritos laid flat and layered in an easy to bake casserole.
Dessert Burrito Recipes
- Slow Cooker Pulled Pork Pozole Burritos
Shrimp and Seafood Burritos
More Recipes to Come!
Here are the final 5 Burrito Recipes that I have been working on in the "test" kitchen. Chicken Chimichangas, Breakfast Burritos, Shrimp and Scallop Burritos, Carne Asada Burritos and a surprise Dessert Burrito that you are going to love.
So, bookmark this page and don't miss a single recipe!
I love hearing from you! If you have questions or comments you can leave them here in this post.
Follow Everyday Southwest's Facebook page to leave comments there and to get updates on new recipes.
See you soon!