A great BBQ Chicken Burrito is delicious and this yummy burrito recipe is barbecued twice! It's filled with grilled chicken, zesty BBQ sauce then, grilled a few minutes more for a toasted tortilla flavor. Let me show you how easy it is to put them on your dinner table in no time.
Dinnertime can be a little crazy sometimes with everyone going a different direction or getting home at a different time. This BBQ Chicken Burrito recipe is a great way to have a delicious dinner on the table PLUS a few "to go" for those busy weeknights.
I love having something a little different for dinner. Taking our favorite BBQ chicken recipe and rolling it into a burrito is a big hit every time I serve them.
Making extras is a must, I just roll them up in foil and keep them warm for family that comes home later or stick them in the fridge for a fast meal on the run
If we have time to sit down together for dinner, I heat extra BBQ sauce to smother the burritos in then, top each bbq chicken burrito with sour cream, shredded lettuce, tomatoes, green onions and cheese for a Southwest-style "salad."
You can serve them with any of your favorite Mexican side dishes. Here is how we like to serve them.
Toppings for BBQ Chicken Burritos:
- Heated BBQ Sauce mixed with pineapple or mango and a few habaneros (recipe to follow)
- Sour Cream
- Shredded lettuce
- Diced tomatoes and onions or Pico de Gallo
- Lots of shredded cheese
- Sliced olives
- Cotija Cheese (a salty, Mexican cheese)
Tips For Making this BBQ Chicken Burrito
- If you have time, brine your chicken for a few hours before cooking (completely optional)
- Pre-heat your grill OR indoor grill pan to medium-high heat
- Have a metal pie plate handy to cover the chicken with and keep the chicken moist
- Cook chicken on grill or grill pan until ALMOST done BEFORE adding the BBQ Sauce (the sauce will burn)
- Cook chicken until COMPLETELY COOKED-NO "pink in the middle" chicken!
- Let chicken "rest" and cool slightly before dicing for a juicier chicken
- Warm the tortillas in a tortilla warmer, microwave or stove top before rolling the burritos, the tortillas will be softer and not crack when rolling your BBQ Chicken Burrito
- Top the burritos with warm sauce and garnishes before serving OR set out bowls of the garnishes for a fun "Burrito Bar" style dinner
Cold outside? Or, in my neighborhood... Hot outside? No problem!
This BBQ Chicken Burrito Recipe is PERFECT for an indoor grill.
- Be sure to use a metal pie pan (disposable aluminum pie pans are great) a pot lid (or something similar) to cover the chicken and keep it moist while cooking.
Are you hungry yet? Serve your BBQ Chicken Burrito with any of your favorite Mexican Food Side dishes.
Here is what I like to serve with our burritos:
What to Serve with a BBQ Chicken Burrito:
Mexican Rice or Avocado Rice
Heated Whole Beans or Refried Beans with Cheese
Chef Tip: BBQ Chicken Burrito "To Go"
Try rolling the beans and rice inside the burrito, it is a great way to get make a balanced meal out of a burrito. PLUS, rolling the beans and rice inside the burrito can stretch your "chicken and cheese" grocery dollars.
Print the BBQ Chicken Burrito Recipe
I'd LOVE to hear from you! Please leave a comment here, on this post, or message me on Everyday Southwest's Facebook Page.
See you soon!
BBQ Chicken Burrito Recipe
- 8 cups water
- 1 ½ tablespoon salt
- ¼ cup plus 1 tablespoon brown sugar divided
- 5 cloves garlic minced, divided
- 4 sprigs fresh thyme
- 6 boneless, skinless chicken breasts skinless chicken breasts
- ¾ cup pineapple or mango, peeled and diced or ¾ cup canned or frozen
- ½ teaspoon salt plus more to taste
- ¼ teaspoon teaspoon pepper plus more to taste
- 2 cups mild barbecue sauce
- ¼ cup vegetable oil
- 4 to 6 whole 12-inch flour tortillas, warmed
- ¼ cup finely sliced green onions
- 8 ounces Monterey Jack or american cheese grated
- ½ cup sour cream
- 1 to 2 whole 1 to 2 habañeros, stemmed and seeded
- Combine water, 1 1⁄2 tablespoons salt, 1⁄4 cup brown sugar, 2 cloves garlic, and thyme in a large pot. Add chicken and brine in refrigerator for up to 2 hours.Blend in a blender, mango, habañero, remaining garlic, remaining brown sugar, 1⁄2 teaspoon salt, and 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper. Pour into large saucepan over high heat, stir in barbecue sauce, and bring to boil. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer for5 minutes. Turn off heat and cover to keep warm.Remove chicken from brine, pat dry, and season with salt and pepper on both sides.Heat an outdoor grill or grill pan to medium heat and brush grill with oil. Grill chicken until almost cooked, turning only once, 10–12 minutes per side. Place a metal pie tin or aluminum foil over chicken to insure even cooking. Brush chicken on both sides with mango barbecue sauce and grill until chicken is cooked completely through, 1–2 minutes more. Set chicken aside to rest for 5 minutes. Dice chicken.Spoon chicken onto tortillas. Drizzle with mango barbecue sauce, sprinkle with green onions and cheese. Roll burritos as desired and secure with toothpicks. Return burritos to grill and toast tortilla on each side creating grill marks. Remove tooth- picks. Spoon barbecue sauce over burritos, garnish with sour cream, green onions, and cheese.