This Short Ribs Recipe with tender beef recipe and delicious sauce was served at Tyler Florence’s Wayfare Tavern. It is one of my favorite dinner recipes.
Tyler Florence’s Wayfare Tavern served the best short ribs on the planet! Now you can make them at home with this delicious Short Ribs Recipe. I loved them so much, I even called Wayfare Tavern’s sous chef and spoke to him on the phone for his tips to restaurant-style short ribs at home.
This Short Ribs Recipe is Perfect for Special Occasions
If you haven’t decided on what to serve for holiday dinner at this late date, I’ve got the answer for you—this Short Ribs Recipe. No, not the cowboy barbequed… grilled outside short ribs. Pretty short ribs. All dressed up for dinner on china plates short ribs.
Quite a few years ago, I started the tradition of cooking our little family’s holiday dinner on the Sunday before Christmas. We drag out the fancy plates and glasses on stems and the four of us have a holiday dinner together before the hustle and bustle of traveling to share the “official” holiday with our extended family. It has become one of my favorite memories.
When my children were small, we spent every holiday “on the road” at Grandma’s house. It was nice for my children to see their cousins but, after a while, I realized they didn’t have any memories of Christmas in our home; no sense of who we were as a family and no flavors or aromas that would make them long to come home for the holidays even after they were grown. I decided I had to fix that right away and viola… Hoopes Family Holiday Dinners… a week early.
Make a Holiday Dinner Any Day!
Having our own family dinner before the holiday has freed up my imagination and allowed me to serve anything I like. In fact, I stay away from the traditional turkey that is served every Thanksgiving and Christmas by my husband’s family all together. Instead,our favorite dinners have turned out Pork Tenderloin and Porcini “Tamales” with Sweet Potato Haystacks for Thanksgiving and a real “Dickens style” dinner with a Bone in Prime Rib and roasted potatoes for Christmas. Of coarse, Mom’s homemade rolls are always a must.
This year, I went to the butcher department to order my prime rib. Boy, did I get a shock! The price! Thinking fast, so my butcher didn’t catch on, I changed my order to short ribs. I had the most delicious short ribs recipe at Tyler Florence’s Wayfare Tavern several times in San Francisco. They were perfect for a “fancy” dinner. So, why not make them for my boys at home?
How to Make Tyler Florences Short Ribs Recipe at Home
I did some research and even called Wayfare Tavern to find out exactly what was in his short ribs recipe. The hostess was so suprised to get a call from Phoenix, that she actually put the sous chef on the phone! Short ribs are not currently on the Wayfare Tavern menu so, I don’t feel bad sharing them with you. I hope Chef Florence approves.
Tyler Florence has several short ribs recipes online that give directions for his classic short ribs that were helpful but, I changed the herbs to more closely match Wayfare Tavern’s short ribs and finished the sauce with a little butter.
For some reason, I seemed to be all out of black truffles so, I traded Wayfare Tavern’s truffle shavings for a little roasted cremini compound butter.
You will love them.
Christmas Dinner Short Ribs with Pear and Celery Salad
- 1/4 pound wild or cremini mushrooms
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 pounds beef short ribs bone in
- Kosher salt
- freshly cracked black pepper
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 2 carrots chopped
- 1 large tomato quartered
- 3 ribs celery
- 1/2 head garlic peeled
- 1/4 bunch fresh thyme
- 1 1/2 cups dry red wine
- 1 1/2 cups low-sodium organic beef stock
- 1/2 pound butter
- sea salt
- 3 celery stalks cut into alumettes 1/4 by 1/4 by 2 1/2 inch sticks
- 3 pears also cut into alumettes 1/4 by 1/4 by 2 1/2 inch sticks
- 1 cup creme fraiche
- 1/2 lemon juiced
- salt to taste
- fresh black pepper to taste
- 2 sticks butter cut into cubes
- 1 bunch flat leaf parsley leaves
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Clean mushrooms and roast until fragrant, set aside.Reduce oven temperature to 350.
- Preheat large dutch oven or stock pot on stove over medium high heat. Add 3 tablespoons olive oil. Season short ribs with salt and pepper then add to pan and sear on all sides until browned. Remove short ribs from pan, set aside. Add thyme and stir for about one minute, Do not burn.
- Add onion, carrot, celery and thyme to the pot and season well with salt and pepper. Cook for about 5 minutes, add the garlic and cook another 5 minutes. Pour in the red wine and beef stock, bring to a boil.
- Place the short ribs into the vegetable and stock mixture making sure to "nestle" them into the liquid. The braising mixture should not completely cover the ribs (only about 2/3 of the way). If there are too many ribs to fit into a single layer in the pan, divide the vegetable mixture and use two pots. Do not stack the ribs on top of each other.
- Place the lid on the pot, leaving it "ajar" so steam may escape. Place pot in the oven and cook until tender but still in one piece (not falling apart); about 2 1/2 to 3 hours.
- While the ribs are cooking, prepare the compound butter by roughly chopping the mushrooms then mincing the mushrooms in a food processor or finely by hand. Stir the cooled mushrooms into the softened butter. Spoon the butter on to a sheet of plastic wrap and roll into a cylinder with the diameter a little larger than a quarter. Chill until ready to use.
- While short ribs are cooking, prepare the Pear and Celery Salad.
- To make the salad, cut 3 pears and 3 celery stalks into 2 1/2 inch long pieces then cut into 1/4 by 1/4 inch sticks. Be sure to keep some of the celery leaves on the small, thin stalks at the top of the celery stalk and use them in the salad. Keep in chilled water to stay crisp.
- Mix the creme fraiche with the juice of 1/2 lemon. Season with salt and pepper.
- When the ribs are almost finished cooking. Remove about 2 cups of the liquid and reduce slightly in a sauce pan until thickened.
- Remove short ribs from pan and place on warm serving plater. Top with a slice of mushroom compound butter. Cover with foil to keep warm.
- Remove the sauce from the heat and strain though a fine sieve, whisk in cubes of butter one at a time. Spoon the sauce over the short rib and butter
- Plate the short ribs on individual plates or on a serving plater. Spoon the sauce over the short ribs and butter.
- Toss the pears and celery alumettes (sticks) in the cream fraiche and serve on top of each short rib.
- Trim the leaves and tender parts of the flat leaf parsley and sprinkle on the top of the salad.
I’m sending you the warmest wishes I know how to give, Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays!