Instant Pot Turkey Chili Recipe is the answer to “What’s for dinner?” Southwest seasonings, ground turkey and two kinds of beans blend with the tomato-y flavor for a quick and easy Chili Recipe that you can get on the table in a hurry!
Instant Pot, where have you been all of my life?
Finally! I made the leap and bought an Instant Pot. Now, that I have one… what do I do with it? To help me figure that out, I asked a few of my friends to share a recipe or two with me so that I can learn how to use it. Jennie came through with a easy and delicious chili recipe.
I’ve posted several delicious chili recipes like Authentic Texas Chili (also called a “Bowl of Red”) and Anne’s Ultimate Vegetarian Chili that was featured on Food Network but, sometimes, you need to get chili on the table in a hurry.
This Instant Pot Ground Turkey Chili Recipe is from my friend Jennie Brown and it is perfect for getting dinner on the table FAST!
Here is what Jennie says about it:
“I’ve made a zillion pots of chili over the years, and I always love it even if I’ve tried a new ingredient, or spice but, nothing compares to this Instant Pot Turkey Chili Recipe. I wasn’t sure if it would measure up to all the other slowly simmered pot’s of Chili, but, it surpassed them, and in a fraction of the time. This is truly a delicious meal. It’s full of healthy ingredients, it comes together quickly, and you’re ready to eat. Put this one in your favorites, because it will easily become the go to recipe for Chili.”
—by Jennie Brown
Ground Turkey Chili in the Instant Pot-
- Turn Instant Pot or electric pressure cooker to “Saute”
- Drizzle oil in bottom of pressure cooker
- Add ground turkey and saute until browned and cooked through (no pink!). Break turkey into small pieces with a wooden spoon while cooking.
- Time saving tip:Chop the onion and mince the garlic while the Instant Pot is heating up and the turkey is browning.
- Add the chopped onion and cook for 2 more minutes.
- Stir in minced garlic and cook one minute.
- Turn off the saute setting.
- Stir in seasonings: chili seasoning, ground cumin, seasoned pepper, coarse ground garlic salt and seasoned salt to the STILL HOT pressure cooker until well blended.
Add Two Kinds of Canned Beans to Instant Pot Ground Turkey Chili-
Now, just throw everything else in.
- Add can (24 oz)of tomato juice (not shown) and can of stewed tomatoes (shown)—do not drain.
- Drain and rinse canned Pinto beans ( I use Ranch Style Beans ) and canned dark red Kidney beans (or canned beans of your choice).
- Stir in in brown sugar.
- Secure lid and cook 20 minutes as described below.
How to cook Ground Turkey Chili in Instant Pot-
Push the “Saute” setting and cook the ingredients as listed above. Then-
- Place the lid on the Instant Pot, and turn it until it beeps and locks.
- Set the pressure valve to “SEALING” then, press the “MANUAL” button and set the time to 20 minutes.
- When the Instant Pot beeps, and goes to off, watch the time, and after 13 minutes, release the pressure.
- With a pot holder, carefully turn the pressure valve to ‘VENTING’. Make sure all the pressure has been released.
- Check the float valve to make sure it is all the way down.
- Remove the lid from the Instant Pot, and stir the chili. It will have thickened a little during cooking.
Garnishes for Instant Pot Ground Turkey Chili-
- After you remove the Ground Turkey Chili from the pressure cooker, dish it into bowls and garnish with your favorite Southwest ingredients.
- Sprinkle chili with shredded cheese, use cheddar cheese or, for an authentic Southwest flavor, use shedded Longhorn or Queso Oaxaca for a cream-y, melt-y cheese.
- Cotija Cheese sprinkled on top gives a salty, tangy flavor like a Latin version of Parmesan Cheese.
- Don’t forget the sour cream! If your family likes sour cream, they will love it on this Ground Turkey Chili.
- Thinly slice jalapenos and green onions add a bit of heat and a touch of color.
- Bacon! Bacon is a delicious garnish. Just take crispy cooked bacon and crumble it over the chili.
This really is a fast and easy dinner recipe that is perfect for busy weekends or weeknight meals, I hope you love it!
If you have any questions, you can leave a comment here on this post or you can find me on the Everyday Southwest Facebook Page. I’d love to hear from you!
—See you soon!
Shop This Post-
Amazon affiliate links for equipment and ingredients used in this post.
Print the Recipe for Instant Pot Turkey Chile here-
Instant Pot Turkey Chili Recipe
- Pressure Cooker
- Wooden spoon or large spoon
- Can opener
- 1 pound ground turkey
- 1 large sweet onion - chopped
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 can of stewed tomato's 15 oz (DO NOT DRAIN)
- 1 can of Pinto beans - drained and rinsed (see notes) I use Ranch Style Beans. DO NOT Drain Ranch Style Beans, you will love the flavor!
- 1 can of dark red Kidney beans - drained and rinsed
- 3 Tablespoons chili seasoning I used WILLIAMS brand
- 2 Tablespoons ground Cumin
- 1 teaspoon seasoned pepper
- 1 teaspoon coarse ground garlic salt
- 1 teaspoon seasoned salt
- 1 large can of tomato juice 24 ounces
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- Press the 'Saute' button on the Instant Pot then, add the ground turkey. Cook the turkey until it's golden brown, and no longer pink, (about 20 minutes). Break the turkey into small pieces while it cooks. Add the chopped onion and cook for 2 more minutes or until translucent then, add minced garlic.Turn off the Saute setting. Stir in the garlic salt, seasoned salt, seasoned pepper, chili seasoning and cumin, stir well. Pour the Kidney beans and Pinto beans into a strainer or colander, drain and rinse well. Add the beans to the Instant Pot. Add the stewed tomatoes with juice and brown sugar to the Instant Pot, and stir well. Add the large can of tomato juice, and stir all ingredients together to blend well. Sprinkle a little more garlic salt on the chili, if desired, and stir.Place the lid on the Instant Pot and turn it until it beeps and locks. Set the pressure valve to 'SEALING'.Press the 'MANUAL' button and set the time to 20 minutes. When the Instant Pot beeps and goes to off, watch the time. After 13 minutes, release the pressure by using a pot holder to carefully turn the pressure valve to 'VENTING'. Make sure all the pressure has been released. Check the float valve to make sure it's all the way down. Remove the lid from the Instant Pot, and stir the chili. The chili will have thickened a little during cooking. Serve immediately. Enjoy!
- NOTE: The measurement of spices in this recipe will make the chili very flavorful but, it will not be overly spicy. If you prefer your chili really spicy or hot, add more chili powder, or chili seasoning. When the chili has cooked, you can also add a few more seasonings if you choose. Top with jalapenos, sour cream, shredded cheese, onions, crouton's, bacon, green onions, or other toppings of your choice.