Looking for the Ultimate Vegetarian Chili Recipe ever? The spicy, smokey flavor, diced chiles and two types of beans mixed with the meatiness of the secret ingredient makes this Chili Recipe is a winner. Food Network chose this chili as second place winner in their Ultimate Recipe Showdown. That's right! This recipe is famous!
Stop! Don't touch that "back" arrow! You are in the right place. We are known for our Authentic Texas Chili Recipe around here but, today, I want to re-share this amazing Ultimate Vegetarian Chili Recipe with you.
How can a vegetarian chili recipe beat the competition in a nationwide chili contest? Because this recipe was created by my very own niece, Anne Tegtmeier, of course.
Don't take my word for it. Food Network chose Anne's Ultimate Vegetarian Chile Recipe as the 2nd Place winner on their Ultimate Recipe Showdown Comfort Food. (scroll down to see the video of Anne on Food Network).
This recipe was originally posted by Donna Kelly in November of 2011. I have updated and reposted it to include our easy to use recipe plugin, helpful cooking tips and the video of Anne's appearance on Food Network.
Anne's Ultimate Vegetarian Chili Recipe is the perfect topping for our Jalapeno Cornbread Waffles. The staff on KUTV Channel 2 in Salt Lake thought so, too. Donna and I were invited to share the recipe for our Chili Topped Cornbread Waffles with their viewers on November 11, 2011.
Here is Donna's original post:
"If you haven’t tried our ULTIMATE VEGGIE CHILI recipe, put this on your “Must Try” list ! It is easily the best veggie chili I have ever eaten. It has a fabulous rich, smoky flavor and is packed with budget-friendly healthy protein in the form of beans and tofu.
This is a great make ahead recipe – we highly recommend freezing individual portions to be handy during the upcoming holiday madness!
Here is Anne’s story, a shot of her in action on the “Comfort Foods” episode, and the recipe:
"I’ve worked on this recipe literally for years, fine tuning it and trying different ingredients and approaches. This version is the one that includes all of my favorite variations over the years. I love the combination of diced and crushed tomatoes, and I am partial to black beans and corn as a pair. I like this amount of spice, and the smokiness of the chipotle powder, but it goes without saying that you should adjust it as you please.
The cashews are probably the most unusual ingredient; I got that idea from a chili I used to eat regularly back in college, when I was a dance major at the Boston Conservatory. The Trident Bookstore & Cafe on Newbury Street had a very tasty veggie chili that included cashews – I loved both the texture and how they added a kind of additional meaty texture."
Sandy and I are excited to be cooking this delicious Vegetarian Chili on top of our savory Cornbread Waffles on November 11th on Channel 2 KUTV at noon.
Tune in, Comfort Food Fans, for our television debut!"
Scroll dow to see Anne's Video
Tips for Making the Ultimate Vegetarian Chili Recipe
Don't be afraid of the tofu! Anne's easy tips will make it easy for you.
- To help the tofu keep a "ground beef" like texture, freeze the tofu overnight then, thaw the tofu.
- Place the thawed tofu in the center of a clean kitchen towel and wrap like a beggar's purse.
- Squeeze as much liquid out of the tofu as possible. Anne shows you how on Food Network video (bottom of post)
- Crumble the tofu into the seasoned onion and pepper mixture then, saute for about 5 minutes.
- Use whole, roasted but UNSALTED cashews.If you can only find salted cashews, reduce the salt or better yet, lightly rinse the cashews.
Video for How to Make Vegetarian Chili Recipe PLUS Anne's Tips for Tofu on Food Network' Ultimate Recipe Showdown
Here is the video of Anne cooking her amazing Vegetarian Chili Recipe in the final round of the Ultimate Recipe Showdown competition.
Please watch it and see how she works with the tofu.
You will get to listen in on the judges and hear what they have to say about this delicious recipe.
This recipe has become a favorite family recipe and real crowd pleaser.
Please let me know how you like the recipe! You can leave a comment here on this post or you can follow me on Everyday Southwest's Facebook Page and leave a comment there.
I LOVE hearing from you!
ULTIMATE VEGETARIAN CHILI
- 1 yellow onion diced
- 1 red bell pepper diced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 tablespoon chipotle or regular chili powder
- 14 ounces extra-firm tofu frozen and thawed
- 2 14-ounce cans diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 28-ounce can crushed tomatoes
- 1 4-ounce can diced jalapenos, drained
- 1 4-ounce can green chiles, drained
- 2 14-ounce cans black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 14-ounce can dark kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup fresh or frozen corn
- 2 cups whole roasted cashews diced
- 1 tablespoon cayenne pepper sauce like Frank’s
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
Print out the recipe or Pin it for later! Follow Everyday Southwest on Pinterest