Baja Poblanos Rellenos Recipe
Seafood in a creamy sauce stuffed into fruity poblano peppers - all with the colors of the Mexican flag. A flavor fiesta for your mouth!
Recipe type: Main Dish
- 1 jar (12 ounces) roasted red bell peppers, drained
- 1 can (15 ounces) fire-roasted diced tomatoes, UNdrained
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 6 large poblano peppers
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 jalapeno pepper, minced
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 pound medium peeled and deveined raw shrimp
- 1 cup (2 ounces) Monterey jack cheese, grated
- 2 ounces cream cheese
- ½ cup queso fresco, crumbled, for garnish
- ½ cup diced cilantro for garnish
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Blend red peppers and diced tomatoes and salt in a blender until very smooth. Pour into a 9 by 13 baking pan, or in six oblong baking dishes.
- Cook peppers in the microwave oven for about 2 minutes, just until softened.
- Cut a long slit in one side of the poblanos from stem to tip. Scoop out all seeds and pulp from inside poblano.
- In a large skillet, heat oil over medium high heat. Add onion and cook 3 minutes. Add garlic, jalapeno and cumin and cook another 1 to 2 minutes, until fragrant. Dice the shrimp and add to skillet. Cook until shrimp is translucent. Stir in cream cheese and then Monterey Jack cheese until melted. Remove from heat.
- Stuff the poblanos with the shrimp mixture and then place in the pan(s) with the sauce.
- Bake at top of oven for about 40 minutes, until lightly browned and bubbly around edges. Serve warm.
Other bloggers do chiles rellenos:
One of the best casserole-style chiles rellenos is made by South Beach Queen Kalyn at Kalyn's Kitchen
Check out the Mexican classic version at Mexico in my Kitchen
And a Blog About Food has a fabulous version
Judy @Savoring Today
Oh my goodness! This looks absolutely delicious, it is printed and in my 'make soon' stack -- there are a few. I like everything about this, the sauce sounds perfect and the cheese a perfect balance. YUM!
Judy - you just made my day! I am thrilled when people want to try my food!
This looks just amazing, bookmarked!
Thanks Kalyn - and this is *fairly* SB friendly, too!
This looks fantastic!!! I wish I was having this for lunch or dinner today! Delicious!
Come on over and I'll make you one!
I can't wait to try this. I love everything Rellenos and this looks deliciously decadent. I'm drooling just thinking about this dish. Making it this weekend!!! Thank you so much for sharing.
Hey JC - really, really love how these rellenos turned out!
Barbara @ Barbara Bakes
What a fantastic, easy recipe. The sauce is such a great color.
Thanks Barbara - these really are fabulous!
You just set the main dish for Tuesday's cooking class with my niece. I love the easy approach to the sauce and the unique filling ingredients Mmmmm, I can almost taste it already; much more interesting than my usual vegie, cheese and rice or quinoa rellenos.
Yours sound YUm as well - I love rellenos with pretty much any filling! And your niece is a lucky girl!
Do you not peel the peppers?
No, Carmen - I don't peel them. You can if you like, but I find it makes little difference in this recipe. Do try this one!