Who said dinner can't be fun on Halloween? This fast and easy recipe for Jack O Lantern Carrot and Rice Bites makes a fun and healthy Halloween snack, side dish or lunchbox treat.
These cute little carrot and rice Jack O Lanterns are a great way to get a healthy bite into your little Trick or Treaters before they head out on the "Big Night" or stick them inside their lunchbox for a cute surprise. The rice and carrot bites are even cute enough to dress up the buffet table at any adult Halloween Party.
This healthy Halloween snack has become a favorite at Donna's house. And, you know Donna, if she can find a healthy way to get a snack down you, she will! There is not one drop of food coloring in these treats. Just cook the rice in carrot juice for added flavor and natural color. Then roll the rice into little balls and "decorate" with pieces of black olives and the ends of green beans for the stems.
We are so happy to share these adorable appetizers in 10 Days of Halloween hosted by Allison from Cupcake Diaries. The event rounds up 30 amazing Halloween recipe, crafts and projects from 30 different bloggers and shares one a day for the entire month of September.
So, head on over to Cupcake Diaries and check out 30 Days of Halloween but, don't forget our little Jack O Lantern Rice Bites... we can't let cupcakes have all the fun!
- 1½ cups medium or short grain rice
- 2 cups carrot juice
- 1 cup water
- ½ teaspoon salt
- A handful of black olives, for garnish
- A few green bean tips, for garnish
- Boil rice, carrot juice, water and salt for 15 minutes, or until all liquid is absorbed. Let cool to room temperature.
- To make jack o’ lanterns, form small balls (about 2 tablespoons each) out of rice, pressing firmly with hands. (Note: If rice sticks to hands, lightly sprinkle hands with water when rolling.)
- To form eyes and mouths, cut black olives into shapes and press into the rice balls. To make stem, cut a small triangle of green bean and stick into rice ball on top.
Leave a Reply