Mexican Meatball Soup made easy with flavorful broth and mini meatballs packed with Latin spices is quick, simple—you can make it tonight! This authentic soup, called Albondigas soup, is a favorite appetizer for Meatball Recipes Lovers everywhere.
I love Albondigas soup! It has been one of my favorite Mexican food appetizers at restaurants since I was very young… I mean, who doesn’t love meatballs?
This soup is so easy to make at home that it has become favorite weeknight meal for my family too.
If you are looking for an easy and versatile soup recipe, this is it. You can go as “homemade” as you would like with my homemade Mexican Meatball Recipe or easy does it with frozen meatballs from your favorite super market. Don’t have time for homemade chicken stock? No problem… pick that up while you are at the store.
Just don’t skimp on the Latin flavors that you may already have in your spice rack anyway.
I have made this Mexican Meatball Soup so many times that I have come up with tips and short cuts that help you save time and get dinner on the table in a flash.
Easy Tips for Making Mexican Meatball Soup—
- Make your own mini meatballs with this Mexican Meatball Recipe right here on Everyday Southwest
- Save time by using 1 pound of your favorite frozen meatballs
- Substitute 2 1/2 cups of prepared pico de gallo for the diced onion, canned tomatoes to save on prep time
- Leftover rice is perfect for this soup. Make extra rice and freeze it in zip bag
- Double or triple the recipe for the meatballs and freeze them in separate containers to use the next time you make a meatball recipe for an almost prep-free meal
- Garnish soup with crispy corn tortilla strips or your favorite tortilla chip
- Have a bottle of hot sauce handy for people who like a little “kick” to sprinkle on their meatballs.
You won’t believe how easy it is to make restaurant style Mexican Meatballs Soup. In fact, you may find the mini meatballs irresistible and use them in every ground beef recipe you can think of!
I’d love to hear from you! Let me know how you like this soup recipe by leaving a comment here on this post or by following me on Everyday Southwest’s Facebook Page
See you soon!
Mexican Meatball Soup or Albondigas!
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 small yellow onion diced
- 1 carrot peeled and sliced
- 1 poblano or Anaheim chile seeded and diced
- 2 teaspoons dried Mexican oregano leaves
- 1 ⁄2 teaspoon cumin
- 1 zucchini seeded and diced
- 1 can 15 ounces diced tomatoes, drained
- 4 cups chicken or vegetable stock
- 1 cup water
- 1 1 ⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1 ⁄2 teaspoon black pepper optional
- 1 recipe Mexican Meatballs on Everyday Southwest or 1 pound frozen meatballs
- 1 cup corn kernels optional
- 3 cups cooked rice
- 1 snack size back tortilla chips garnish (optional)
Heat oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add onion, carrot and chile. Cook until onion is translucent and is tender, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in oregano, cumin, and zucchini; cook 2 minutes.
- Add tomatoes, stock, water, salt, and pepper (optional). Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Add meatballs and corn and simmer until meatballs are cooked through and hot.
- Divide cooked rice between 6 serving bowls and ladle soup over top.
- Makes 6 servings.