This Easy Mexican Meatballs Recipe is packed with Latin Food flavors like red chile, Mexican oregano and fresh cilantro. The tender balls of beef or pork are simmered in sauce and ready to spoon on top your favorite meatball recipe.
You are going to love these meatballs! They are fast, easy AND everyone's favorite ground beef recipe... well except tacos, of course.
A few years ago, I decided to mix up the flavors of my meatball recipes and see if I could turn the little bites of yumminess into a Southwest dinner. It seems like Italian food has all the fun with pizza, spaghetti and so many more meals that my kids had everyday at school, not to mention that my husband is not a big fan of Italian food (I know! Who doesn't love spaghetti and meatballs?). I have to admit that the tomato basil thing was getting a little boring.
One night, while eating my favorite Albondigas(Mexican Meatballs) Soup at my favorite Mexican restaurant, I had a brainstorm—a brain hurricane filled my head with "what else" these little meatballs could be. So the idea of my Mexican Meatballs Recipe was born right then and there.
Since that time, I have made this basic Mexican Meatballs Recipe for my family many times, in all different flavors and all different Mexican dishes. I have even turned some Italian dishes into Mexican flavors that my husband now loves (more about those in a later post or two).
Mexican Meatballs Recipe Featured in 101 Things to Do With Chile Peppers
My Mexican Meatballs Recipe was one of the very first recipes turned into my publisher, Gibbs Smith, and helped me get the cookbook contract!
My basic Mexican Meatballs Recipe has its very own page! You will also find other Meatballs Recipes cooked in spicy Southwest Sauces and great recipes for meatball dishes.
I haven't had a formal launch for the 101 Things to Do With Chile Peppers Cookbook (yet)so please check it out online or at your favorite bookseller.
Look for more featured recipes from my cookbooks!
Mexican Meatballs Recipe is one of my staples for weeknight meals. I make the basic meatballs and then cook them spicy sauces or Mexican-style soups and pastas.
Over the years, I have developed a few tips that help me get these meatball dishes on the table in a quick and easy way that save a few dollars at the grocery store.
Tips for Making Mexican Meatballs Recipe
- Double or triple the batch of meatballs. This is a very easy recipe but, you can still save time in the cleanup, food prep and even shopping if you make large batches.
- Freeze the meatballs in sizes to fit your families meals.
- Make the meatballs small and bite sized. Smaller meatballs are great for soups and meatball appetizers. Smaller sized meatballs will give you the versatility you need in other dishes. Spaghetti? No problem, pile the little guys on!
- Freeze the meatballs in amounts that will fit your family's meals, not in one giant zip bag.
- Clearly mark the frozen meatball's container with the date and how many meatballs are in the container.
- Save money by mixing other ground meats together like beef and pork.
- Freeze unused portions of raw ground meat ( ¼ pound one night, ½ pound another night). Label the meat with the date and how much meat is in the container. Then, when you have enough frozen meat, make meatballs!
- This recipe only makes enough for 4 to 6 servings. Make sure you have enough meatballs! Double, triple or quadruple the Mexican Meatballs Recipe if you have a large family or a large gathering of friends.
- Be sure to make sure to make extra meatballs to keep in the freezer!
Watch for more Mexican Meatballs Recipe ideas here on Everyday Southwest or in 101 Things to Do With Chile Peppers.
What recipes do you use meatballs in? I'd love to hear from you! Share your ideas by leaving a comment here on this post or follow Everyday Southwest on Facebook!
Talk to you soon!
Mexican Meatballs Recipe or Albondigas!