Chipotle Pumpkin Soup with Toasted Pepitas blend roasted pumpkin and smokey chipotle for a delicious and satisfying winter meal.
Pumpkin soups are most plentiful this time of year- lots to choose from to fit your cooking personality. We here at Everyday Southwest love a southwest twist with our sweet pumpkin flavor. How about chipotle? It is one of my favorite spices - so smoky and flavorful.
This version makes a fabulous first course for your Thanksgiving meal, so if you've got leftover pumpkins on your porch, I suggest you RUN out and get one and get this soup going - it is the best pumpkin soup I've ever eaten! Pumpkins are uber-healthy and are practically FREE right now - many grocery stores will give them away after Halloween is over.
The chipotle flavor goes perfect with the sweet creamy pumpkin flavor. A perfect synergy! Cheers to all our southwest food fans!
- 2 pounds peeled pumpkin, cut into large chunks
- 1 bulb garlic
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1 or 2 sage leaves, diced
- 2 tablespoons minced cilantro
- 1 tablespoon chipotle chile powder
- 3 ups vegetable stock
- 2 tablespoons sour cream
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper sauce
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Toss pumpkin in 1 tablespoon of oil and spread on a baking sheet in a single layer. Cut top off of garlic bulb, place bulb in center of a square of aluminum foil and drizzle with a little olive oil. Wrap bulb up, sealing completely. Place wrapped bulb on baking sheet. Bake the pumpkin and garlic for one hour. Remove and let cool. Remove skin from pumpkin pieces.
- Saute the onion in a stockpot in remaining oil until translucent. Add in herbs and chipotle powder and cook another minute. Add in broth and roasted pumpkin. Squeeze the garlic cloves out of the cooked bulb and add to pot. Simmer for 20 minutes or so, until slightly reduced.
- Blend with a stick blender or in batches in a blender. (NOTE: At this point, you can strain the soup for a more refined texture, but I like it rustic. Your choice!) Add sour cream, cayenne pepper sauce and salt and pepper to taste. Optional garnishes: pepitas, smoked paprika, sour cream swirl.
Other intriguing pumpkin soups:
Pumpkin Soup, Guilty Kitchen
Pumpkin Soup, Use Real Butter
Apple Pumpkin Soup, Eclectic Recipes
Carrot Pumpkin Soup, Jane Spice
Pumpkin Soup, Gluten Free Easily
Pumpkin Soup, Daily Bread Journal
Curried Pumpkin Soup, Ezra Pound Cake
Pumpkin Soup with Gruyere, Merry Gourmet
Slow Cooker Pumpkin Soup, Framed Cooks
Roasted Pumpkin Soup, My Kitchen Snippets
-- posted by Donna