Meet your new favorite chile relleno!
I have grown to love a new way of making chiles rellenos (stuffed chiles) – roasted. Not fried.
Oh sure, I love the traditional battered, deep fried classic Anaheim chiles stuffed with cheese. But. They are a huge mess to make and are loaded with calories and fat. I became a believer in this style when I had a roasted relleno at a restaurant, and I now make them all the time at home.
These have an easy, flavorful sauce of roasted red bell peppers and tomatoes underneath them while roasting. And the shrimp (and/or crab if you like) with a little cream cheese and Monterey Jack cheese make a perfect creamy stuffing.
– posted by Donna
- 1 jar (12 ounces) roasted red bell peppers, drained
- 1 can (15 ounces) fire-roasted diced tomatoes, UNdrained
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 6 large poblano peppers
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 jalapeno pepper, minced
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 pound medium peeled and deveined raw shrimp
- 1 cup (2 ounces) Monterey jack cheese, grated
- 2 ounces cream cheese
- ½ cup queso fresco, crumbled, for garnish
- ½ cup diced cilantro for garnish
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Blend red peppers and diced tomatoes and salt in a blender until very smooth. Pour into a 9 by 13 baking pan, or in six oblong baking dishes.
- Cook peppers in the microwave oven for about 2 minutes, just until softened.
- Cut a long slit in one side of the poblanos from stem to tip. Scoop out all seeds and pulp from inside poblano.
- In a large skillet, heat oil over medium high heat. Add onion and cook 3 minutes. Add garlic, jalapeno and cumin and cook another 1 to 2 minutes, until fragrant. Dice the shrimp and add to skillet. Cook until shrimp is translucent. Stir in cream cheese and then Monterey Jack cheese until melted. Remove from heat.
- Stuff the poblanos with the shrimp mixture and then place in the pan(s) with the sauce.
- Bake at top of oven for about 40 minutes, until lightly browned and bubbly around edges. Serve warm.
Other bloggers do chiles rellenos:
One of the best casserole-style chiles rellenos is made by South Beach Queen Kalyn at Kalyn’s Kitchen
Check out the Mexican classic version at Mexico in my Kitchen
And a Blog About Food has a fabulous version