Peach Quesadillas put a sweet twist on everyone's favorite Southwest dish. Tortillas are filled with peaches and cream cheese then, sprinkled with cinnamon and sugar for a fast, easy summertime dessert.
If you're looking for a peach dessert recipe, I'm guessing that "quesadilla" is not the first thing that comes to mind. Most people don't think of the classic southwest snack food quesadillas being a dessert. That's too bad, because dessert quesadillas are fabulous! And, they are a perfect "Desperation Dessert" that you can throw together in just minutes. If you don't believe me, [ Warning: Shameless Plug Ahead] check out my book "Quesadillas" and try one of the recipes from the dessert section - Mango Madness, Caramel Apple or Triple Chocolate Decadence for starters!
The crispy crunch of the tortilla and the soft melted cream cheese inside are the perfect template for an easy dessert feast with whatever fruit or traditional dessert ingredient you have in your kitchen. And, quesadillas take only minutes to make. Drizzle on some caramel or chocolate sauce, or sprinkle some cinnamon sugar on top and you're in business - the Simple, Easy Desserts business!
The key to making a top-notch quesadilla is something I learned as a kid growing up a few miles from the Mexican border: Cook them in a large covered skillet over medium heat with NO FAT IN THE PAN. Let me repeat for emphasis: DO NOT PUT FAT IN THE PAN!!! If you put fat in the skillet, it only makes the quesadilla greasy and often brunt on the outside. Just trust me on this - your flour tortilla will NOT burn and will NOT stick. It will turn out with a perfect crispy golden crunch. Go ahead - test me on this. I promise you will be in Quesadilla Heaven!
PEACHES AND CREAM QUESADILLAS
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 16 ounces light cream cheese, softened
- 8 medium (9 to 10 inch) flour tortillas
- 4 cups ⅛ inch slices firm but ripe peeled peaches
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon fresh grated ginger
- Few dashes nutmeg
- Cinnamon sugar or caramel syrup as desired
- Mix almond extract with cream cheese. Spread 2 tablespoons of cream cheese mixture on each tortilla..
- Toss peaches in sugar and sauté peach slices in butter, ginger and nutmeg over high heat in a 10 inch skillet, stirring constantly to brown but not burn. Remove from skillet and wipe pan dry with a paper towel. Spread ¾ cup of peach mixture over a tortilla. Repeat three times, making four covered tortillas.
- Place these four tortillas, tortilla side down, in skillet over medium heat. Place remaining four tortillas, cream cheese side down, on top of tortilla in pan. Press down with a wide spatula to remove any air pockets. Cover and cook 1 to 2 minutes, checking frequently until bottom tortilla is crisp and browned.
- Turn tortillas over and cover and cook another 1 to 2 minutes, until bottom tortilla is crisp and browned. Repeat this process for remaining tortillas. Sprinkle with cinnamon sugar as desired. Cut into wedges and serve immediately.
Unique Quesadillas worth checking out:
Spicy Shrimp Quesadilla, Poor Girl Eats Well
Affordable King Crab Quesadilla, Dianasaur Dishes
Hawaiian Barbecue Quesadillas, Eclectic Dishes
Shrimp, Kale and Avocado Quesadillas, In Good Taste
Nicaraguan Style Repochetas (Quesadilla Tacos), Bitchin Camaro
Chicken and Roasted Pepper Quesadillas, For the Love of Cooking
-- posted by Donna
Thanks for the link! Those peach quesadillas look wonderful. I typically just do butter and cinnamon sugar on tortillas for a dessert, hadn't even thought of cream cheese and fruit, love it!
Do try these Dianasaur - you'll love them!