We don't do many sponsored posts on Everyday Southwest. Our sponsors have to be someone we believe in and are a part of our lives. It seems like Campbell's Soup has always been a part of our lives. So, partnering with Campbell's to bring you a favorite family recipe is a natural thing to do. I hope you love our family's Pizza Grilled Cheese Sandwich Dippers with Pizza Topped Tomato Soup.
Getting kids to eat healthy food is always challenge. What they like from week to week can be a mystery, especially with today's kids. There are so many tempting options for them. Wait... when did kids get "options?" I didn't get options. Did you get options?
Growing up in the middle of five brothers and sisters meant I pretty much ate whatever was in the house. Sometimes, that was home baked bread or chewy oatmeal cookies straight from the oven. I swear my mother put the cookies in the freezer the second they were cool to keep the bunch of us from eating them all at once and... to save the cookies for our baby brother, John. Mom denies this, of course. But, I know it's true. John was the picky eater in our family. As I recall, John only ate two things—Mom's amazing oatmeal cookies and chicken noodle soup.
As a young mother, I was prepared for the "kid who wouldn't eat." My son, James, was the picky eater in my little family. Luckily, his taste was wider than my brother's. James ate three things— hot dogs, egg rolls and shrimp. Go figure. School opened the world of possibilities to James, math, science and the fact that he could eat just about anything if he dipped it in ketchup or tomato soup. Even broccoli! His favorite "dipper" pairing continues to be grilled cheese sandwiches and tomato soup.
This summer, I was lucky enough to spend some extended time with my baby brother, John, and his family. I am happy to report that his kids are carrying on our family's "picky eater" tradition with their own unique twist. For some reason, my nieces and nephew won't eat unless the food is healthy. Healthy?
You have to be quick to keep up with the changing tastes of today's kids. They know so much more about food and healthy eating than we did.
Come and share your own child's eating advice and fun ideas with Campbell's Wisest Kid in the Whole World. Their website makes it easy for you to ask questions and get fresh, new "kid friendly" recipes.
I'm going to ask The Wisest Kid in the World how to get kids to eat broccoli!
What are you going to ask?
- 2 cans Campbell's Tomato Soup
- 8 slices hearty, sliced bread (Italian was used)
- 4 to 8 slices pre-sliced mozzarella or American cheese
- 1 package sliced pepperonis
- 2 to 3 tablespoons softened, salted butter
- Mix the Campbell's Tomato Soup and requited amount of water together in a sauce pan and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and keep warm.
- Cut the crust off of the slices of bread. Place 4 slices of bread on a cutting board and layer with pepperonis and 1 to 2 slices of cheese.
- Place the another slice of bread on top of each sandwich.
- Heat a frying pan over medium heat. Melt 1 tablespoon butter across the bottom of the frying pan. Place 1 to 2 sandwiches in the pan and fry until golden brown. Turn the sandwich over and brown the other side.
- Remove the sandwich from the pan and let "rest" for a few minutes so the cheese will not squish out when cutting the sandwiches.
- Cut each sandwich into 1 inch wide "dippers."
- Serve the Pizza Sandwich Dippers with the tomato soup.
—posted by Sandy