Are you looking for the breakfast of champions? Healthy, light with a little bit of crunch? Avocado Mango and Honey Lime Yogurt make a perfect match.
I keep telling myself I need to eat a healthy breakfast, that two Nutter Butter Peanut Butter Sandwich Cookies and a Diet Pepsi is not exactly the “Breakfast of Champions.” On the other hand, I have never found a “weekday” breakfast I liked. To me, breakfast needs to be fast and easy and above all, leave no dishes in the sink that I know I won’t have time to wash until I get home 8 hours later when the egg yolk has cemented itself to the pans, the plates and the countertops. Breafast must be slightly sweet so I don’t crave donuts all day and have a little crunch so I know I am eating something. That’s a tough bill to fill, I know.
Mary Sue Milliken’s Avocado Dessert
Photo courtesy of California Avocado Commission
So, how did I arrive at avocados for breakfast? They are healthy and all but, sweet? crunchy? not exactly.
A couple of weeks ago, I had dinner cooked by Mary Sue Milliken and Susan Feniger (none other than the Too Hot Tamales, themselves) and this avocado and mango dish was served for dessert. The point of the dinner was to think outside the box for ways to use avocados. An avocado for dessert is still a little too far out for me. In my way of thinking, dessert needs to have whipped cream and flakey pastry and chocolate… lots of chocolate.
I did loved the dish, tho’ and have been obsessed with finding a way to use the flavors ever since. That’s when I decided to dice the avocado and mango and throw in some granola for a little crunch. The fast? I mix a big batch of the honey, lime yogurt and dice a bowl full of mangos and keep them in the fridge. In the morning, I just dice the avocado and layer all the ingredients it in small plastic cups then, off I go. I only have one knife to wash.
- ¾ cups plain, low-fat greek yogurt
- 2 large limes, juiced
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 2 mangos, chilled and diced
- 2 ripe California Avocados, chilled and diced
- Cayenne pepper, to taste
- Salt, to taste
- 1 cup granola or granola style breakfast cereal
- mint, for garnish (optional)
- Mix the yogurt, lime juice and honey together in a small bowl. Refrigerate until ready to use.
- Dice mango and avocado. Mix equal parts Ceyanne pepper and salt together and sprinkle over mango and avocado, to taste.
- Layer mango in the bottom each of four serving dishes. Add a layer of avocado then a layer of yogurt.
- Top with granola and start the layers again.
- Garnish with a sprig of mint, if desired.
Some of my blogger friends have had the same idea of avocados for breakfast. Check out some of their recipes and tell them “Hi,” from Southwestgirl.
Avocado Breakfast Toasts by Bell’ Alimento
Make Ahead Egg Wraps with Ham, Avocado and Salsa by Cookin’ Canuck
Buckwheat Crepes with Avocados and Aged Cheddar Cheese by La Fuji Mama