If Cracker Jacks is one of your favorite childhood treats, wait no more for a home made heavenly upgrade. Crack Jacks, only yummier. And healthier. Just all around better.
The playful flavor combo in this sweet/salty/spicy glazed popcorn is remarkable. This is by far the best caramel corn I have ever eaten. And, something you would never, ever guess: this vegan recipe is healthy, too. Coconut oil is one of the best things you can put in your mouth - Dr Oz just recommended it for losing weight, after all. And, not only does it speed up metabolism, it has incredible anti-oxidant powers.
One warning: this stuff is truly addicting. Eat-until-you're-sick addicting. Lick-the-bottom-of-the-bowl addicting. Crave-it-all-day addicting. There. You've been warned.
Happy Fall, Y"all!
-- posted by Donna
- ⅓ cup popcorn kernels (making 12 cups popped)
- ⅓ cup coconut oil
- 1 ½ cups maple syrup
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon smoked paprika
- 2 cups chopped roasted salted almonds
- Pop the corn kernels and set aside.
- In a medium saucepan, bring to a boil the coconut oil, maple syrup, salt and paprika. Using a candy thermometer, boil without stirring until mixture reaches 250 degrees, about 10 to 12 minutes. Remove from heat and immediately stir in almonds.
- Quickly pour mixture over popcorn, stirring vigorously and quickly. Spread mixture on an oiled baking sheet and let cool. Break into clumps and serve.