This Sonoran Hot Dog Recipe takes the All-American dog, wraps it in bacon then smothers it in all the flavors of Old Mexico—pinto beans, salsa, Mexican crema and avocado pico de gallo are pilled into a fresh, warm bolillo roll for an over the top but easy grill recipe.
Every great city has a great hot dog. You’ve heard of Chicago Dogs, New York Dogs, Dodger Dogs, Kansas City BBQ Dogs… well, let me introduce you to the dog that will beat them all, Tucson’s very own Sonoran Dog. Yep, tiny little Tucson has the bacon wrapped, bean stuffed, avocado pico topped hot dog that puts power house cities like Chicago under the table.
I mean really, how can “glow in the dark” pickle relish compete with grilled bacon and avocados?
We eat an awful lot of bacon wrapped Sonoran Hot Dogs during grillin’ season. They are quick and easy so I don’t have to sweat over the grill and I can enjoy my own party. This Sonoran Hot Dog Recipe is impressive enough to serve to guests and, let’s face it, they are the best hot dogs on the whole darn planet.
If you are lucky enough to live in Tucson, or lucky enough to go there for vacation, you can have your choice of great places to grab a Sonoran Hot Dog. My personal favorite is Fatdogs Real Mexican Hotdogs , a hot dog stand out in the boonies on Thornydale and Overton Road, near my parents home. If you get a chance to check them out, you better be quick! Fatdogs opens around 10:00 a.m. and is open only as long as their bacon wrapped masterpieces last. I recommend getting there around 11:00, after that, there are no guarantees.
If you aren’t lucky enough to live in Tucson, well, you’ve come to the right place to find step by step directions on how to make this authentic Bacon Wrapped Sonoran Hot Dog Recipe… even if you do live in Chicago.
How to Make Bacon Wrapped Sonoran Hot Dog Recipe:
- Choose bacon slices that are not too thin, not too thick so they will not burn before the dogs are grilled all the way through (don’t use the microwave ready bacon, it is too thin).
- Use raw bacon, not the ready to eat bacon.
- Wrap a slice of bacon around each hot dog and secure with a toothpick on each end. Refrigerate until ready to grill.
- Have all of the ingredients ready before you put the hot dogs on the grill, they cook quickly and you will want to serve them when the bacon is crispy.
- Prepare the salsa and pico de gallo, chill until ready to grill.
- Dice the avocados and toss with a little lime juice to keep from browning.
- In a sauce pan, bring the beans to a boil. Reduce temperature and simmer.
- Warm buns.
Set up a Sonoran Hot Dog Bar and let everyone “build their own d
Don’t just throw the same ol’ burger and dogs on the grill this season.
It is so easy to to kick them up a notch with this Bacon Wrapped Sonoran Hot Dog Recipe. Trust me, you’ll love them.If you aren’t in a “hot dog kind of mood,” here are a few of our other grill recipes that you might like to try as well as a few great recipes from our foodie friends.
Grilled Babyback Spare Ribs by Foodie Crush
Thai Beef Skewers by I Wash… You Dry
Grilled Pork Chops with Mayan Spiced Mango Marinade by Everyday Southwest
Grilled Peach Salad with Goat Cheese, Blackberries and Lemon Dressing by Everyday Southwest
We love hearing from you so let us know what kinds of recipes you would like to see more of on Everyday Southwest.
Bacon Wrapped Sonoran Hot Dogs Recipe
- 1 package 10 of your favorite hot dogs (I use Hebrew National)
- 10 slices bacon
- 10 good quality buns lobster rolls or other soft rolls
- 2 cans ranch style beans or home made beans drained
- 3 medium tomatoes seeded and diced
- 1 medium onion diced
- ½ bunch cilantro minced
- 2 avocados peeled and diced
- 2 limes juiced
- 1 cup Mexican Crema or mayonnaise thinned with 2 to 3 tablespoons milk
- Wrap one piece of bacon around each hot dog and secure on each end with a toothpick. Refrigerate until ready to grill.
- Open cans of beans and heat to a simmer. Drain beans in a strainer over a medium mixing bowl, keep warm.
- Toss diced tomatoes, onions, cilantro together, set aside.
- Grill bacon wrapped hot dogs over medium heat until bacon is crispy on all sides, but not burned. Make sure to cook slowly and turn the dogs often so that the hot dogs are heated through by the time the bacon crisps, about 10 minutes.
- Spoon the mayonnaise into a ketchup type squirt bottle. Thin with milk, a little at a time, if necessary.
- Dice avocado and toss with lime juice. Toss into the tomato mixture.
- Assemble the hot dogs by spooning beans into the bottom of the hot dog bun. Add the hot dog and top with the avocado pico de gallo.
- Drizzle Sonoran Hot Dogs with mayonnaise.
- Garnish with a sprig of cilantro.
—posted by Sandy