Kalua Pork Torta Recipe
This easy slow-cooker Kalua Pork with Pineapple Salsa makes the perfect torta. Cook extra pork to freeze for other dishes like enchiladas, tacos or green chile.
- 3 pounds pork shoulder boneless
- 1 1/2 tablespoon sea salt or kosher salt
- 1 1/2 tablespoon liquid smoke
- 1 fresh pineapple small dice (1/4 inch)
- 1 red bell pepper fine dice (1/8 inch)
- 1 jalapeno fine dice (1/8 inch)
- 1/4 small red onion fine dice (1/8 inch)
- 1 handful cilantro leaves minced
- 2 cups bbq sauce your favorite brand
- 12 ounces pineapple chunks
- 1 habanero chile seeded and chopped
- 10 to 12 Torta buns or soft Kaiser Rolls
- 1 head Lettuce or Napa Cabbage
Cut excess fat from pork, rub with salt and place in a slow-cooker. Pierce with a carving fork. Pour liquid smoke over pork and pat into the pork.
Cover the slow-cooker and cook pork on low for 8 to 10 hours.
Prepare the salsa by tossing the pineapple, red bell pepper, jalapeno, red onion and cilantro together. Refrigerate until serving.
Combine bbq sauce, pineapple and habanero together in a food processor or blender. Pulse until well blended and smooth. Heat in a small sauce pan and set aside.
To serve, warm the buns. Place a layer of cabbage on the bottom bun. Top with Kalua pork and pineapple salsa. Drizzle with bbq sauce.