Hawaiiian Kalua Pork Tacos
Kalua Pork Tacos are made right in your slow cooker! Top the with delicious Pineapple Salsa and Fresh Cabbage Slaw for a taste of the islands.
- 3 pounds pork shoulder boneless
- 1½ tablespoon sea salt or kosher salt
- 1½ tablespoon liquid smoke
- 1 fresh pineapple small dice (1/4 inch)
- 1 red bell pepper fine dice (1/8 inch)
- 1 jalapeno fine dice (1/8 inch)
- ¼ small red onion fine dice (1/8 inch)
- 1 handful cilantro leaves minced
- 12 ounces pineapple chunks
- 1 each habanero chile seeded and chopped
- 2 dozen corn tortillas
- Cabbage Slaw with very little dressing
- lime wedges
- slices of jalapeño or serrano chile
- 1 to 2 cups bbq sauce, optional your favorite brand
Cut excess fat from pork, rub with salt and place in a slow-cooker. Pierce with a carving fork. Pour liquid smoke over pork and pat into the pork.
Cover the slow-cooker and cook pork on low for 6 to 8 hours or until pork shreds apart with a fork.
Prepare the salsa by tossing the pineapple, red bell pepper, jalapeño, red onion and cilantro together. Add a pinch of salt. Refrigerate until serving.
Combine bbq sauce, reserved pineapple juice and habanero together in a food processor or blender. Pulse until well blended and smooth. Heat in a small sauce pan and set aside.
To serve, warm the tortillas. Place a layer of coleslaw in the middle of the tortilla. Add Kalua pork then drizzle with bbq sauce. Top with pineapple salsa.