Taco Ring Recipe with Crescent Rolls is a fun and easy dinner idea. Seasoned ground beef taco meat and melted cheese is baked in flakey crescent rolls.
You don’t have to wait for a special occasion to add some fun to you family dinner table. This is a great recipe for gathering family and friends around the table to talk, to laugh and to share stories from our day. Set it in the center of the table so that people will need to lean in together and let the conversation happen naturally.
Lately, I have been pulling out my family’s favorite celebration recipes and preparing them for a surprise weeknight meal. Why wait for a special occasion?
Taco Ring Recipe with Crescent Rolls have been a favorite party favorite around our house for years. I bake one up for sleep overs, game days and even the Super Bowl—they are always a hit.
The Taco Ring is really easy to make, it is filled with tender ground beef, melted cheese and everyone’s favorite Taco flavors so, even the pickiest eater in the house will love it.
Just keep the crescent roll dough cool and plan for a little extra time to allow the ground beef to cool off before wrapping it in the dough so you will have a very flakey crust.
Ground Beef Taco Filling for Taco Ring:
- Heat vegetable oil in a large sauté pan over medium high heat.
- Sauté onion in pan until translucent and soft, about 3 to 4 minutes.
- Add garlic and sauté until fragrant, about 2 minutes.
- Place ground beef into pan and break into smaller pieces with a spoon. Sauté until browned and no longer pink.
- Sprinkle taco seasoning over ground beef.
- Pour broth or water over ground beef mixture and bring to a simmer.
- Simmer ground beef taco meat until broth is slightly thickened, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Remove taco meat from heat and allow to cool.
Ho to Make Ground Beef Taco Ring:
- Use very cold crescent rolls and taco meat that has cooled to the touch. Allowing the meat to cool will help it hold together better and help keep the crescent rolls chilled while assembling.
- Unroll both cans of crescent rolls and separate into 16 individual triangles.
- Cover un-greased cookie sheet with parchment paper
- Arrange triangles of dough in a circle on the parchment paper (see Great Tips below). The short side of the triangles should be in the center and over lap forming a circle that is 5 inches across (see photo above). The long sides of the triangles should point out like the sun.
- Spoon the cooled ground beef taco meat evenly around the thickest part of the crescent ring circle. Leave small an edge on the inside of the circle to help the dough stick together when you wrap the points over the beef.
- Sprinkle the grated cheese over the taco meat.
- Gently press the beef and cheese together so that it will hold its shape.
- Bring the points of the triangles over the ground beef and cheese mixture and tuck under the bottom layer of dough on the inside of the circle. Gently pinch the dough together to seal.
- Brush the top of the dough with the egg wash.
- Bake at 375 degrees for 20 to 25 minutes. Check the Taco Ring as it bakes, if it becomes too brown, lightly cover with tin foil. Do not seal the tin foil to the Taco Ring or to the pan, it will steam the dough.
Great Tips for Taco Ring:
- Work very quickly so the dough remains chilled.
- The colder the dough, the flakier the crust. Keep the crescent rolls in the refrigerator until the last minute and take them out when ready to use.
- For an even circle: place a piece of parchment paper on the cookie sheet and, using an upside down bowl with a 5 inch diameter, trace a circle with a 5 inch diameter in the center of the parchment. Turn the paper over so that the pencil markings are visible through the parchment but, not touching your food. Use this circle as a guide for the center of your dough.
What do you serve with Taco Ring Recipe with Crescent Rolls?
Serve the Taco Ring with a salad made with everything you would garnish a taco with. Top shredded lettuce with ingredients like: diced tomato, diced onion, sliced green onions, grated cheese, diced avocado, sliced black olives, sliced pickled jalapeños, cabbage… etc.
Place a small bowl of guacamole, in the center of the ring.
Set small bowls of salsas, sour cream and extra cheese around the Taco Ring so, people can serve themselves
Other Family Friendly Meals:
Build your own Southwest Grilled Chicken Spring Rolls with rice paper and fresh ingredients.
Ice Cream Tacos with Whipped Cream, Nuts and a Cherry put an easy dessert spin on Tacos!
Navajo Tacos also called Indian Tacos are a great “build your own dinner.”
Taco Bar and Family Game Night will get the family dinner party started!
My Amazon Pics:
Do you need a sheet pan or parchment paper? Here are my favorites.
Let me know how you like this Taco Ring with Crescent Rolls. You can leave a comment on this post or on Facebook. Be sure to “Like” the Everyday Southwest fan page and sign up or our free email updates so you won’t miss a single recipe!
—posted by Sandy
Taco Ring Recipe with Crescent Rolls
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 cup white onion, diced
- 1 ounce package Taco Seasoning Mix
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 cans crescent-style dinner rolls 8 ounce each can
- 1/2 cup guacamole
- shredded lettuce for garnish
- tomato, diced for garnish
- salsa (optional) for garnish
- green onions, sliced (optional) for garnish
- additional shredded cheese (optional) for garnish
- sour cream (optional) for garnish
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
- Heat a large skillet over low-medium heat. Cook the ground beef and onions until the
- beef is no longer pink. Drain grease if needed, and return meat to the skillet.
- Add the water and taco seasoning. Continue to cook until the mixture begins to thicken.
- Remove from heat.
- Open both cans of dough, unroll, and separate into triangles. Using a large baking sheet
- or pizza pan lined with parchment paper, place the wide sides of the triangles in the center with the tips overlapping. The center should form a circle. The longer tips of the triangle will face outward, and the end result will look like a sunburst.
- Spoon the beef around the overlapping portions of the dough to form a large circle. Top the beef with shredded cheese. Pick up the outer point of a triangle and lay it over the top of the meat and cheese. Tuck the point underneath the inside of the circle of dough so the meat and cheese is covered. Continue this around the circle until all the outer points are folded over and tucked into the center.
- Bake for 18 to 22 minutes or until the ring is golden brown. Cut into slices and serve with your favorite toppings.
*To help the uncooked crescent rolls stay in a circular shape, place a 4 to 5-inch wide bowl in the center and work around it. Remove the bowl before baking.
*Apply a light egg wash (1 egg + 1 tablespoon of water) to give the taco ring a nice, shiny brown look after it bakes.
*Don’t overfill the crescent dough. Otherwise, the filling will spill out of the openings while the ring bakes.