Serve this Lobster Avocado Mango Salad is stacked with layers of chunky avocado, mango salsa and poached lobster tossed in a light remoulade sauce. It's light, healthy and has "beach vacation" written all over it. This is truly one of my favorite Avocado Recipes. Truly.
This Lobster Avocado Mango Salad has to be my all time favorite recipes. I serve this salad all the time. It's great for a lunch with "the girls" or that special 40th Anniversary dinner for my own parents or anytime I need a beach vacation in my own backyard.
I even serve this Lobster Salad in a lettuce leaf for a summer picnic—without stacking it, course.
This Lobster Avocado Mango Salad was the hit of our Oscar Night Party again this year... well, every year, actually.
My whole family is one giant movie buff. We go to movies together, we talk about movies, we even quote movies as part of our real life conversations with each other (You talkin' to me?) We may be the only people I know who sit through every last movie credit and try to find the most interesting name and guess it's cultural origin. So, Oscar night is a big deal for us.
I'm adding this Lobster Avocado Mango Salad to my Best Mother's Day Recipes List this year. I'll serve it as the main dish with a delicious Corn Soup and my Lemon Raspberry Tiramisu Parfaits.
How to Make Lobster Avocado Mango Salad Tips:
plus tips for changing up the recipe and casual variations-
Chef's tips for Lobster Avocado Mango Salad:
- Steam the lobsters or lobster tails for this recipe to keep the meat tender and not loose lobster flavor by boiling them in water that will be discarded.
- Choose a pot large enough to hold all the lobsters comfortably; do not crowd them.
- Put 2 inches of salted water in the bottom of a large kettle.
- Set steaming rack inside the pot and bring water to a rolling boil over high heat.
- Add the live lobsters or lobster tails one at a time, cover pot, and start timing.
- Halfway through, lift the lid (careful – the steam is hot) and shift the lobsters around so they cook evenly.
How long to steam lobster based on lobster weights:
1 pound 10 mins
1 ¼ pounds 12 minutes
1 ½ pounds 14 minutes
1 ¾ pounds 16 minutes
2 pounds 18 minutes
2 ½ pounds 22 minutes
3 pounds 25 to 30 minutes
5 pounds 40 to 45 minutes
How can I tell if the lobster is cooked?
Here is what Lobsters From Maine Recommends-
Cooked lobsters will turn bright red, but that’s not the best indicator of doneness, especially for large lobsters. They may still be underdone when the shell turns red. Jasper White recommends cooking the lobsters for the recommend time, then cracking one open where the carapece meets the tail. If it’s done, the meat will have changed from translucent to white.
*All times are recommendations from LobsterFromMaine.com
Tips for turning this Lobster Avocado Mango Salad an "everyday" meal:
- If you don't want to stack the salad, you can layer it in a martini glass and call it a "Lobster Cocktail" like I did in our cookbook, 200 Appetizers by Gibb Smith.
- Remember, this salad doesn't have to be fancy, you can make it casual by wrapping it in a crunchy lettuce leaf for a nice lunch or even picnic. The combinations are endless with these great flavors.
- Cut the avocados in half, remove the seed and brush with lime or lemon juice. Toss the other ingredients together for a nice lobster mango salad and scoop on top of the avocado halves.
- Lobster isn't your thing or you don't want to cook one your own, just substitute cooked crab or poached shrimp for the lobster.
- Not a seafood fan? Add chicken instead of the lobster. Just shred the chicken and toss it with the remoulade sauce for a great way to feed a crowd.
- Mangos aren't in season? No problem, I use frozen, cubed mango all the time! You can even find canned mango.
- Here is a secret tip— frozen or canned mango can have more mango flavor than fresh mango. The canned and frozen mango are packaged at the peak of their ripeness.
Get more appetizer recipes in our 200 Appetizers Cookbook!
We have quite a few appetizers in our book that are fancy enough for an Oscar party, Mother's or any special occasion. I just found out that if you are a Barnes and Noble member, you can order the book in your local Barnes and Noble store for the reduced member's price AND they will deliver it to your home with no additional shipping charge. You can even get it in time for the Oscars.
You can also order 200 Appetizers online and have it delivered to your doorstep:
Lobster Avocado and Mango Salad Recipe
- 1 pound cooked lobster meat
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons Dijon-style mustard
- 1 tablespoon minced red onion
- Tabasco Sauce to taste
- 1 ⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups ripe or frozen mango thawed, peeled and cut in 1⁄2-inch dice
- 1 cup minced red bell pepper
- 1 tablespoon minced jalapeno stem and seeds removed
- 2 avocados cut in 1⁄2-inch dice
- 3 tablespoons minced red onion
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Dice half of the lobster into 1⁄2-inch pieces. Slice the other half into nice pieces for the top of the stack. Place in separate bowls.
- In a small bowl, mix together the mayonnaise, lemon juice, mustard, 1 tablespoon red onion, Tabasco, and salt. Toss with diced lobster pieces and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, toss the mango, bell pepper, and jalapeno together and set aside.
- In a small bowl, toss the avocado, red onion, and lime juice together. Season with salt and pepper and set aside.
- Divide the avocado mixture between 4-3 inch round ring molds or biscuit cutters and gently press together. Top with mango mixture and gently press into the ring. Spoon the diced lobster mixture onto the mango and gently press to hold its shape.
- Arrange several pieces of sliced lobster to the top of the stack. Unmold on the plate you wish to serve the salad on.
- Garnish with fresh basil and basil oil, if desired.
- Spoon avocado mixture into the bottom of a martini glass about 1-inch deep. Spoon a layer of mango mixture over the avocado. Add the diced lobster over the mango mixture and top with several lobster slices. Repeat for a total of 8 cocktails.
This really is my favorite salad recipe. I have even been known to toss the lobster and mango mixture together and serve it in half of an avocado for lunch. Use your imagination and come up with fun ways to serve it.
See you soon!