Who said making healthier and “cleaner” food choices has to be boring? I’ve added this Slow Cooker Kalua Pork Tacos Recipe to this week’s Clean Eating Challenge for a fun way to but healthy back on the table.
Hawaii count down begins….. NOW! Yep, we may actually get to Hawaii this month! Life and business and all things important have put our trip on hold for a reeeeealy long time but, now, it may finally happen. I can’t wait.
We weren’t sure if it would actually happen, so to tell you the truth, we haven’t actually planned anything to do while we are there. Right now, buying cheap lawn chairs and sitting on the beach with a book and a picnic lunch from the hotel sounds about as good as it gets. In fact, sitting on a beach with waiters to bring us smoothies with little umbrellas in them sounds even better.
Don’t worry, I am taking my camera so you can come along on the trip with us! Be prepared for lots and lots of pictures of food, of course.
If you are on Facebook or Instagram, be sure to follow me. I will try to post on there instead of the blog so I don’t have to drag the heavy laptop halfway across the Pacific. I have an Instagram account but, I have only used it a couple of times so don’t be surprised to find that the pictures on my account are really crappy right now. I promise that the pictures will get better when I figure out how to use it. If you have never tried Instagram, sign up! We can learn together!
I will have lots of recipe ideas when I get back but, for now, here is my super easy Slow Cooker Kalua Pork Taco Recipe to bring a little of the islands to the dinner table. Make an extra big batch for so you can have leftovers for Kalua Pork Tortes.
Check out the other blogs in the Clean Eating Challenge and look for the ebook we are putting together which will include all of the recipes!
Kalua Pork Tacos are part of our Clean Eating Challenge 2014
Watermelon Juice – Rick•a•bam•boo
Sweet Potato and Black Bean Burger – Clarks Condensed
Raw Almond & Arugula Pesto – Project Domestication
Roasted Broccoli and Red Peppers – Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
Baked Sweet Potato Chips – Keep It Simple Sweetie
Lemon Cookies – Cooking with Curls
Rosemary Citrus Water – Delightful E Made
One Pot Pasta – Bite of Delight
Kalua Pork Tacos with Pineapple Salsa – Everyday Southwest (that’s us!)
Miso Soup – Je suis alimentageuse
I hope you love the recipes in this challenge. Be sure to stop by the other blogs and let them know I sent you.
- 3 pounds pork shoulder (boneless)
- 1½ tablespoon sea salt or kosher salt
- 1½ tablespoon liquid smoke
- 1 fresh pineapple, small dice (1/4 inch)
- 1 red bell pepper, fine dice (1/8 inch)
- 1 jalapeno, fine dice (1/8 inch)
- ¼ small red onion, fine dice (1/8 inch)
- 1 handful cilantro leaves, minced
- 2 cups bbq sauce (your favorite brand)
- 12 ounces pineapple chunks
- 1 habanero chile, seeded and chopped
- 2 dozen corn tortillas
- Cole Slaw with very little dressing
- lime wedges
- slices of jalapeño or serrano chile
- Cut excess fat from pork, rub with salt and place in a slow-cooker. Pierce with a carving fork. Pour liquid smoke over pork and pat into the pork.
- Cover the slow-cooker and cook pork on low for 8 to 10 hours.
- Prepare the salsa by tossing the pineapple, red bell pepper, jalapeño, red onion and cilantro together. Add a pinch of salt. Refrigerate until serving.
- Combine bbq sauce, pineapple and habanero together in a food processor or blender. Pulse until well blended and smooth. Heat in a small sauce pan and set aside.
- To serve, warm the tortillas. Place a layer of cole slaw in the middle of the tortilla. Top with Kalua pork and pineapple salsa. Drizzle with bbq sauce.